" Kt's video's: Defining Major Depression

Sometimes you have to see it to believe it... We have videos that make you say wow...

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Defining Major Depression


Depression
I think it's important to list the symptoms of major depression covered by the DSM-IV (the current edition of the Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) published by the American Psychiatric Association.According to the DSM-IV, a person is suffering from a major depressive episode if he or she experiences items number 1 or 2 from the list of symptoms below, along with any 4 others, continuously for more than 2 weeks:


1. Depressed mood with overwhelming feelings of sadness and grief

2. Apathy--loss of interest and pleasure in activities formerly enjoyed

3. Sleep problems--insomnia, early-morning waking, or oversleeping nearly every day

4. Decreased energy or fatigue

5. Noticeable changes in appetite and weight (significant weight loss or gain)

6. Inability to concentrate or think, or indecisiveness

7. Physical symptoms or restlessness or being physically slowed down

8. Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and helplessness

9. Recurrent thoughts of death and suicide, or a suicide attempt.And the following description of major depression comes from the 2007 Johns Hopkins White Papers on Depression and Anxiety written by Karen Swartz, one of the physicians who evaluated me in March of last year:
The diagnosis is more certain when a person also has a family history of depression; a previous episode of depression or bipolar disorder; a general medical problem likely to trigger depression, such as a recent stroke or heart attack; or is taking a medication known to cause mood disorders.Other symptoms of depression include disorganized thinking and delusions. In addition to these disturbances in mood and cognition (thinking), people with major depression may experience physical changes such as constipation or decreased sexual drive.Episodes of major depression range from mild to severe. In mild episodes, symptoms barely meet the requirements for a diagnosis and the person is able to get through the day without too much trouble. Severe episodes are characterized by several debilitating symptoms, including worsening mood that markedly interferes with daily life. People who are struggling with severe depression have difficulty with almost every activity--going to work, socializing, and even getting up in the morning. They may be unable to feed and dress themselves or to maintain personal hygiene. Major depression is twice as common in women as in men.


I have been depressed most of my adult life. I thought once I got the Heck OUT of my 30's I'd be an Happier Person. Not True. Sadly.I have tried to Commit Suicide since I was the tender age of 6 yrs. by swollowing an bottel of Nose Drops, Being that young, I forgot to hide or throw away the bottle. So when I was found...of course so was the darn bottle.I have tried Several times in my Teens Through out my 20's, mostly by accident. Over Drinking, and taking Uppers to stay awake at night. Nights used to scare the Beegeebers out of me. I don't have a clue as to why, then someting horific came about in my early teens through to my early twenties, until I figured out I could 'DRINK' it away. The 'IT' left me. But I still have fears of sleeping at night. So I'm usually up all night long. I'm well into my 40's. And still I feel I have no Right, or Reason to be alive. I'm Disabled now, with full blown R.A. along with Fibermyolgia; The 'Mystry Disease'. Sleep Apnea go figure? Thyroid Disease, and Sjograns Disease. Seiver ANXIETY ATTACKS Since I was 7 yrs. old. They just started when I was Terrified to ride the elevator down. My Whole Family was on it. All 5 kids, my Mother, 2 dogs and 1 cat. I refused to go on it. I do not know why to this day? My Dad walked me down the very long stairs. I can recall EVERY LITTLE, HUGE THING That Happened to Us ALL when we were growing up. Things NOBODY in my Family can recall. I do have HUGE MISSING LINKS in my Life. Would LOVE to know what happened then? It is really Bothering for me to even think about it all. Even right now. I am more or less 'STUCK' Living wiht my eledrly Mother who abused Horrifically I, my 2 sisters, and my oldest brother. The other 2 boys didn't get touched. But witnessed a TON of Horrible acts. I do NOT LIKE to be Touched, or HELD, by my Mother, or One of my Younger Brother's. HE AND SHE ARE A CARBON COPY of 1 ANOTHER. I've been on SO Many Depression Meds. I don't know what to expect next for me? For I CAN'T SEEM to KILLING MYSELF; To Get that Correct?? I think I'm going to be put on Welbutin? Not sure though. The last one made me sleep even more than usual! And made me HATE ME, and EVERYONE ESLE To a Degree that I WOULD Lock myself in my Bedroom, Not 'Trusting Myself' That much.If anyone out there gives a Rats Butt, and would know what would be BEST FOR ME; Please let me no; Via My Email.Thank you,Kelly S.S.My enabler Mother Needs me to be with her now. I have to leave.

No comments:

Did you Know